Tuesday, August 24, 2021

PHP MySQL Connectors -- MySQLi, PDO, and/or X DevAPI

 Help!

I am preparing a presentation for the Longhorn PHP conference titled PHP & MySQL -- How do PDO, MySQLi, and X DevAPI do what they do.  This will be a comparison of using PHP with different MySQL Connectors.  As far as I can tell there are no three way comparisons of mysqli, PDO, and the X DevAPI PECL extension.  And much of the PDO versus myqli stuff looks to me like it has not aged well. 

I have good material in the raw presentation about overall features, parameters for prepared queries. And a good section on the how's and whys on prepared queries.  

But what else would you like to see in such a presentation?  I have read some postings on the web about turning off buffering (fairly simple to do).  But what else are would you like to see compared?

Performance?  Well, my rudimentary and preliminary benchmarks do not really so much of a difference running on the same platform against the data.  But do you know a case where one shines over the others?

Coding style?  Are you more object orientated or procedural?  So you like the you can use the X Protocol to skip having to write structured query language.

So if you have any input on what you would like to see in this presentation PLEASE send it to me!